All applicants to the UBC Okanagan campus from a secondary school offering English-medium instruction must present a minimum final grade of 70% (or equivalent) in either junior (Grade 11) or senior year (Grade 12) English. Final grades include both the school grade and mandatory standardized examination results.
Program Requirements for Canadian Secondary School Applicants will be applied to applicants, as appropriate, for the international secondary school curriculum presented for admission.
The following list outlines the minimum standing for admission in terms of educational credentials. All students must present prerequisites appropriate for their intended program of study.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or General Certificate of Education (GCE), with standing in at least six academic courses from GCSE, AS-levels, and A-levels and at least three of those courses being at A level as part of their overall assessment. Applicants with a strong academic record who do not present the minimum number of courses as per above will be considered on a case-by-case basis. It is encouraged, but not necessary, to take courses to the A level in subject areas related to the intended area of study. Courses in Accounting and Business Studies/Management may be used in core and overall assessments. This is an exception to the general description of acceptable courses noted above.
- International Baccalaureate (IB). A Diploma with standing in at least six subjects, three at the Standard Level and three at the Higher Level, with a Diploma awarded.
- French Baccalaureate and French Baccalaureate International Option (OIB). Completion of the baccalauréat général or the baccalauréat général (option internationale). All sections - S (scientifique), L (littéraire), or ES (économique et sociale) - are eligible for consideration. The baccalauréat technologique may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.
- Singapore (completion in 2008 and onward): Applicants must present completion of the new curriculum. Admission will be based on at least five examinations, including English, with three at the H2 level and two at the H1 level.
- Students applying with a Chinese secondary school diploma are recommended to present at least six academic courses as part of their diploma. Applicants with a strong academic record who do not present the minimum number of courses as per above will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Chinese secondary school applicants are also required to present results in the National Higher Education Entrance Examination commonly known as Gaokao.
- Other international school systems not listed above. Graduation from an approved university preparation program within an education system that comprises 12 years of primary and secondary study or the equivalent. The admission average is calculated on academic courses and/or exams completed at the senior level (final year) of study. These courses and/or exams are selected by Undergraduate Admissions.
Because of the differences in world educational systems, satisfactory completion of secondary school is not necessarily an acceptable basis for admission to first year. UBC reserves the right to determine whether or not a student is eligible for admission and to determine what transfer credit, if any, may be granted.
Certain programs may require a competitive minimum grade in individual prerequisite courses.
Applicants presenting appropriate subjects with high academic achievement on Advanced Level (GCE), Singapore H2 and H3 Level, Principal Level (HSC), Higher Level (IB), French Baccalaureate, or Advanced Placement courses will, where appropriate, be considered for advanced credit or placement.