Major in History
To complete the BA History Major students must complete at least 3 credits of Canadian history (any level).
First and Second Years
B.A. requirements, including the following:
- 12 credits completed from 100- or 200-level History courses.
Third and Fourth Years
- 30 credits of upper-level History credits, including a minimum of 3 credits in each of the following:
- an area excluding the United States, Canada, or Europe;
- the twentieth century;
- thematic studies course.
- Note: Up to 6 credits from the following courses may be counted toward a History Major: ARTH 315, 316, 320, 321, 370, 375; ECON 330, 331; ENGL 340, 344; PHIL 419; POLI 433.
- 6 additional credits of History electives (any level).
To build a suitable program, a student in the History Major program may obtain special permission from the department to include a course other than those listed above. Electives to complete 120 credits are required for the degree.
History Honours Program
The Honours degree program in History enables students specializing in History to increase their concentration in History and to gain research experience in the completion of an Honours thesis. Students are expected to satisfy high levels of competency in their academic achievement and to successfully complete a research project under the supervision of a faculty member. The faculty supervisor must be approved by the department head.
- Third-year standing;
- Minimum of 12 credits of History;
- Minimum overall average of 72%;
- Minimum average of 76% in History courses; and
- Submission of an application form with supporting materials.
- All general program requirements for the B.A. degree and History Major, including the English, Science, Language other than English, and Distribution requirements;
- Successful completion of HIST 492 (recommended in student’s third year) and HIST 499 (Undergraduate Honours Thesis);
- An overall average of at least 76% in History courses;
- An overall average of 72% in all courses;
- A minimum of 54 credits of History, including HIST 499.
Minor in History
To complete a Minor in History, students must accumulate no fewer than 30 credits in History out of the 120 credits required for the B.A. degree. At least 18 of these credits must be numbered 300 or above.
A maximum of 3 credits from the following courses may be counted toward a History Minor: ARTH 315, 316, 320, 321, 370, 375; ECON 330, 331; ENGL 340, 344; PHIL 419; POLI 433.