Major in Chemistry
Note: The UBC Okanagan campus also offers a Major in Environmental Chemistry.
Students entering the Major in Chemistry program must complete Chemistry 11 (or equivalent) and Principles of Mathematics 12 or Pre-Calculus 12. Students are strongly advised to complete Chemistry 12.
|CHEM 111 or CHEM 121; and CHEM 113 or CHEM 123||6|
|One of MATH 101 or 103||3|
|ENGL 109, or two of ENGL 1121, 113, 1141, 150, 151, 153, 154, 155, 156, CORH 2032||6|
|PHYS 111 or 112||3|
|PHYS 121 or 122||3|
|CHEM 201, 220||6|
|CHEM 203, 204||6|
|Third and Fourth Years|
|Analytical: CHEM 311||3|
|Biochemistry: BIOC 304||3|
|Inorganic: two of CHEM 335, 336, 337, 338||6|
|Organic: two of CHEM 317, 330, 333, 403||6|
|Physical: CHEM 304, 3123||6|
|Two of CHEM 461, 462, 463, 464, 465||6|
|Upper-level Chemistry electives||6|
|Minimum credits for degree||120|
1Credit will only be granted for one of ENGL 112 OR 114.
2It is recommended students take CORH 203 to fulfill the English or Communications requirement.
3MATH 200 is a strongly recommended corequisite for CHEM 312 and should be taken in second year if CHEM 312 will be taken in third year. Prerequisites for MATH 200 are: either (a) MATH 101 or (b) a score of 65% or higher in MATH 103.
4Of the electives, 6 credits must be taken from the following: ASTR 110, 120; ASTR 111, 121; BIOL 116, 125; COSC 111, 121; COSC 122, 123; EESC 111, 121; GEOG 108, 109.
Chemistry Honours Program
The Honours in Chemistry program is designed to provide an intensive program of study through coursework and research experience. Students who complete this program will have the ability to work independently and with a high level of competency. The course requirements are the same as in the Major in Chemistry program, except 6 credits of the elective component of the program must be in CHEM 449.
- Fourth-year standing (minimum of 78 credits in the Chemistry Major).
- Minimum grade average of 76% in all courses taken applicable to the Chemistry Major.
- Enrolment in CHEM 449 with a research project and a research supervisor approved by the Chemistry Curriculum Committee.
- Completion of the course requirements for the Major in Chemistry.
- A minimum 76% graduating grade average (GGA).
- CHEM 449 with a minimum grade of 76%. A written thesis, public poster presentation, and public thesis defence.