Major in Creative Writing
Prospective Major in Creative Writing students must have a combined average of 70% (B-) in 6 credits of 100-level Creative Writing and 3 credits of 100-level English. Once admitted into the Creative Writing Major program, students must maintain a cumulative average of 70% in all Creative Writing and English courses.
- Creative Writing majors are encouraged to enrol in two of the following first-year literature courses:
- ENGL 150 (Introduction to Literary Genre);
- ENGL 151 (Critical Studies in Literature);
- ENGL 153 (Readings in Narrative);
- ENGL 154 (Indigenous Narrative)
- ENGL 155 (Writing and Making Technology in the Humanities)
- ENGL 156 (Environmental Literature)
B.A. requirements (a minimum of 120 credits), including the following required courses:
- CRWR 150 (Introduction to Writing Poetry and Non-Fiction), CRWR 160 (Introduction to Writing Fiction and Drama);
- 3 credits from ARTH, CCS, FILM, MUSC, THTR, or VISA; and
- 3 credits of VISA 106.
- ENGL 220 (Literature in English to the 18th Century) or ENGL 221 (Literature in Britain: the 18th Century to the Present);
- CRWR 260 (Theory and Practice of Creative Writing); and
- 6 credits from the following 3-credit courses:
- CRWR 216 (Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing: Poetry);
- CRWR 217 (Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing: Fiction)
- CRWR 218 (Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing: Playwriting)
- CRWR 219 (Intermediate Workshop in Creative Writing: Non-Fiction)
- CRWR 250 (Workshop in Creative Writing: Screenwriting)
Third and Fourth Years
- 18 credits from the following courses, at least 3 credits of which must be from CRWR 472, 473, 474, 475:
- CRWR 380 (Writing of the Short Story);
- CRWR 381 (Writing of Poetry);
- CRWR 382 (Topics in Creative Writing);
- CRWR 384 (Spoken Word;
- CRWR 470 (3/6) (Portfolio) (may be taken twice for a total of 6 credits);
- CRWR 471 (6) (Writing of the Novel);
- CRWR 472 (3) (Editing and Publishing);
- CRWR 473 (3) (Writing and Community Learning);
- CRWR 474 (3) (Writing with Media);
- CRWR 475 (Preparing for a Career as a Writer).
- 3 upper-level credits of ENGL or WRLD;
- 3 upper-level credits of ENGL in Canadian literature.
- 6 upper-level credits from ARTH, CCS, CRWR, CULT, ENGL, FILM, THTR, VISA, or WRLD (elective). With permission, students may take an upper-level FREN, GERM, JPST, or SPAN literature course for this elective.
The required courses above constitute the 30 upper-level credits required in the field of specialization for this Major: 18 credits in Creative Writing, 6 credits in English literature, and 6 credits in other Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies courses.
Combined Major with Creative Writing
A combined major is created by satisfying the requirement for a combined major in Creative Writing and another B.A. program that offers a combined major (currently Art History and Visual Culture, Cultural Studies, and English). A single course can only fulfill the combined major requirement for one program.
The Creative Writing requirements for the combined major include the following:
First and Second Years
B.A. requirements, including the following:
- CRWR 150 (Introduction to Writing Fiction and Drama), CRWR 160 (Introduction to Writing Poetry and Non-Fiction);
- CRWR 260 (Theory and Practice of Creative Writing);
- 6 credits of second-year Creative Writing courses; and
- at least 70% (B-) overall average in second-year English and Creative Writing courses.
Third and Fourth Years
- 15 credits of 300-level and 400-level Creative Writing courses;
- 3 credits of third- or fourth-year English courses in Canadian literature; and
- 3 credits of third- or fourth-year English course in modern, contemporary literature.
Minor in Creative Writing
To complete a Minor in Creative Writing, students must complete at least 30 credits in Creative Writing, of which 18 credits must be at the 300 or 400 level. Students must complete ENGL 220 or ENGL 221.