Major in Intercultural Communication through World Literatures
World Literature is a vibrant and vital field of study encompassing a spectrum of literatures, historical periods, and cultural phenomena through the ages and across the globe. The intercultural learning and international awareness fostered by the study of literature in global perspective prepare students to flourish academically and professionally in an increasingly interconnected world.
EDUC, LLED, MGMT, and THTR courses have been selected to provide students with employable skills at the end of their degree, thereby opening the door to careers in teaching, writing, editing, translation, advertising, marketing, and public relations, among others.
To complete the Major in Intercultural Communication through World Literatures, students must complete at least 30 credits in WRLD, with a minimum of 21 credits at the 300/400 level and 18 additional credits in EDUC, INDG, LLED, MGMT, and THTR courses, as described below.
In addition to the B.A. requirements, students must complete the following:
First and Second Years
- WRLD 150
- One of WRLD 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158
- WRLD 200
- INDG 100 (Introduction to Decolonization: Indigenous Studies)
- MGMT 110 (Introduction to Management Thought and Social Responsibility)*
- THTR 204 (Creative Communication and Engagement)
Third and Fourth Years
- WRLD 382
- WRLD 404
- One of WRLD 497, 498, 499
- 12 additional WRLD credits at the 300- and 400-level
- EDUC 300
- INDG 404 (Indigenous Peoples United Nations and Global Issues)
- One of LLED 494, 495, 496, 497*
*Students may choose to take more LLED courses towards the completion of the Teaching English and Additional Languages (TEAL) Post-Baccalaureate Certificate.
Students must also complete a standardized Intercultural Development Inventory assessment. The fee for the assessment is included with the program mandatory fees (up to $40).
Minor in Intercultural Communication through World Literatures
To complete a Minor in Intercultural Communication through World Literatures, students must complete at least 30 credits in WRLD out of the 120 credits required for the B.A. degree, including:
- One of WRLD 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157
- WRLD 200
- WRLD 382
At least 18 credits of 300- or 400-level WRLD courses.